Thursday, March 5, 2015

Just a follow up

I mentioned this a little while ago while I was undergoing tests, but as a follow up - I have Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. I was diagnosed and started medication in January.

After a few scans and tests, my neurologist found scarring on my brain consistent with epilepsy.  

It's both good and bad. Good because I suspected epilepsy anyway, and it's good to have some answers after all this time. 

But, bad because I now cannot drive until I am 6 months seizure free whilst on medication.  Every seizure I have means I have to start at day one again which gets pretty frustrating.  The longest I have made it is 8 days.

My seizures have also had an effect on my memory.  I really started to notice it late last year, but even now, sometimes things happen that I don't recall, but the only answer is that I did it, but just don't remember.  

It's incredibly inconvenient being a mother and not being able to drive. It's frustrating losing another piece of independence.  It's tough not being able to remember things when I have always relied on a good memory.  

It's also incredibly humbling to have people close to me offer to help.  People who help get our children to school, take me grocery shopping, and allow for the adjustment it has been on our family.  I don't ever wish for challenges, but they do show me time and time again how blessed I am to have such incredible people in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment