Sunday, February 10, 2013

The count down is on

Tomorrow I head down to Westmead for the day for my pre-op clinic. I don't know much about what I am doing there but they said to allow a minimum of four hours so I'm guessing its a whole bundle of tests.  I plan on taking lots of painkillers, chocolate, and a book.

This time next week, I will be heading to hospital to be admitted for my surgery the next morning.  I'm not too nervous yet, mainly because it still feels a little while away.  I know when I will be nervous though. It ALWAYS hits me when I am being wheeled down to the operating theatre and have to say goodbye to Anthony (or when I was younger it was Mum).  I guess it has something to do with being very aware that the next part I have to do alone.  I know I'm technically surrounded by people, but their concerns are getting in IV's, putting on electrodes, monitoring my vitals etc.  They are there to work.  But none of them actually know me.  Kind of reminds me of how people say you can be in a crowd of people and still feel lonely.

I get nervous in the little room you go into before the operating theatre. The anesthetist is always there getting things sorted and with spinal surgery you seem to require extra IV access so a few more "sharp scratches" occur in this room.   Everything becomes very real here and I know that in a matter of hours, I am going to wake feeling like I have been hit by a truck (or at least wish I had been).  It's not fun!

The one moment I do enjoy about surgery is being put to sleep though. Once they inject the stuff into the IV, I get this funny smell and despite my efforts to try and stay awake as long as I can, the peaceful haze comes and then it's 'nighty-night'.  It's a really nice feeling. Thank you to whoever came up with generation anaesthesia.

I will try and get Anthony to take some photos and details and will do my best to keep you updated, but I'm just wondering - how much detail/gore do you want?

1 comment:

  1. The good ones (doctors, nurses, etc) will care. Tell them you feel nervous and they'll put in the little extra effort to make you feel more at ease. I hope you get the most talented, kind and gentle medical team! I know it sucks regardless with the pain you have to deal with, but you have so many people wanting the best for you. I wish I could do it for you, you've already had more than your fair share of pain. Love you Jo!
    Just pretend your doctor is McDreamy ;)

    ReplyDelete