Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Batten down the hatches

We were in Queensland for a few days last week. We wanted to go but didn't really have the finances, however we received some help with flights as an anniversary present so with ten days notice, we booked flights.

We knew it was going to need to be a low budget holiday, but we haven't been on a family holiday for almost four years and our boys deserve a holiday.

Even though money concerns me at times, especially spending money that I know needs to go elsewhere (upcoming doctors fees!!!!), we felt that a holiday was important so that in the upcoming difficult time ahead, our family will have some fun memories to talk about together.

We had a blast! We got to spend time with family and friends and in the five days we were there, we even made it to Dreamworld. Not being able to go on rides is one of the disappointments that has resulted from my back problems. I LOVE rides!! I wasn't too silly but I went on a few of the tamer rides knowing my rods are already broken and if things go really bad, I have surgery scheduled anyway. A bit naughty I know but I NEVER get to go on rides and it will be back to being extra careful again after surgery is over so I wanted to make the most of it.  It was a long day and I did indeed pay the price physically but I am so glad we did it.

The beginning of the Qld storm hit while we were on the Gold Coast. It rained...and rained....and rained some more. We flew out first thing Sunday morning and escaped the worst of it but the next day we too were receiving warnings in NSW to prepare for damaging weather.

The news reports said to be cautious and it got a bit wild but nothing like the images we were seeing of our northern neighbors, however we didn't know how bad the impending storm would be when it made it to our neck of the woods.

Monday day and night were loud, windy, and incredibly dark and wet. But come Tuesday morning, I was surprised to see the sun peeking out from behind the clouds. If anyone had told me on Monday that there would be sunshine the next morning, I wouldn't have believed them, but indeed Tuesday brought beautiful weather.

I am two and a half weeks from surgery. I feel nervous, like I am heading into a storm. I don't know how bad it will be, but either way I know it won't be fun. I am so glad our little get-away gave me the chance to think about something other than what's coming.

More than anything though, I look forward to the sunshine after the storm, I can't see it yet, but I know it will come.


3 comments:

  1. I really hope they give you lots of drugs when you're recovering. I hate the fact that the pain meds don't take away enough of the pain. You're right though, the memories from fhe famy holiday will be helpful in making things a little brighter for all of you while you're in hospital. I'm so glad you got to have fun with your gorgeous family, you deserve it and more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you had a great holiday Jo. There will be lots more sunshine to come because you deserve it. Love to you and your wonderful family. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you were able to have some well deserved family fun Sweetheart. Your faith and hope in the face of stormy times is inspiring and you remind me of your child-hood nickname's sake (Joseph Smith). We all know how much you loved Dad's nickname for you:) I just read yesterday his words while in Carthage Jail "Therefore God hath made broad our shoulders for the burden. We glory in our tribulation, because we know that God is with us, that He is our friend, and that He will save our souls." Love you so much Jo. Mum and Dad xoxox

    ReplyDelete