Monday, July 25, 2011

Glory days

This year marks ten years since I graduated high school. Kind of makes me think about what I was like a decade ago compared to now. Honestly, I feel pretty much the same inside as I did at 17. I am still terrified of singing in public, I get flushed over silly things, I procrastinate things until the absolute last minute even though I feel anxious if I'm unorganized, and I still put my pajamas on the second I get home no matter what the time of day.
I have very little artistic talent. Music, art, and drama were subjects I dropped as soon as they were no longer compulsory. In year 9 I was in a whole class play that we performed at the end of the year. People actually had to pay to come see it. Considering I was a terrible public speaker and couldn't act in the slightest, I was given the role of the doctor. The doctor had a total of....one line!
The plot was teenagers in a car crash after drink driving. My line was pretty basic. All I had to say was;

"I know all about that party, my daughter goes to the local high school."

Clearly our play wasn't going to win any awards with this plot and script. Come the actual night, I was decked out in one of the science blocks lab coats, armed with a clip board-just as all doctors do right ;o)
A few scenes in and my line was coming up. I was all ready and was feeling nervous but ok. When it came time for my grand performance, I checked my clipboard, looked up at my fellow actor and said;

"I know all about that party, my DODEL goes to the local high school."

WHAT IS A DODEL?????
End of my acting debut and career. The following year I DID NOT take drama.

3 comments:

  1. Is that pronouced the same as doodle?
    You make me laugh Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope-DODEL, not even a real word! I had such a great time with you over the weekend, makes me realize how much I miss having you back here.

    ReplyDelete